[mythtvnz] Pointers on how to track down machine lockup

Wade Maxfield mythtvnz at hotblack.co.nz
Mon Oct 11 21:58:54 BST 2010

On 11/10/2010, at 5:52 PM, Brett wrote:

> You probably already know this ..
> ATX 2.x PSUs are rated differently to older PSUs
> More power is provided on the 12V rails now but your PSU does not seem
> very old..

Ahhh didn't know about the rating. I thought it might just be inefficiency from aging, or maybe the 80+ PSU really are more efficient (not just a marketing thing).  The just replaced PSU is a new Antec Signature 650W, and the one I've just put in is an Antec NeoHE 430W from 4 or so years ago.

> Are you using pae kernel ? Why not use 64bit OS.
> Do you think the pae kernel with H55 chipset could be to blame.

I am using a 64bit OS now.

uname -a
Linux mythtv 2.6.32-25-server #44-Ubuntu SMP Fri Sep 17 21:13:39 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Originally I was using Mythbuntu with the PAE kernel (loads of lockups), but a few weeks ago I switched to Ubuntu Server 10.04 x64, but the freezes continued.  No freezes since upgrading BIOS, but now I've had 2 random restarts.

> I have reliable Gigabyte H55 running Ubu 10.04 64 bit standard issue
> kernel (old 8 year old ATX 1.x PSU) but it does not run 24/7.

This is a Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3.  What processor are you using?

 - Wade