[mythtvnz] Bottom Posting to HTML posts?

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 07:10:50 BST 2010

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 6:04 PM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:

> > On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> reply to HTML posts which do not use the "<" conventions?
> >>

> >> If everyone posted plain text the problem would disappear.
> >>

> > If eveyone used a modern mail client the problem would disappear as well
> > :-)
> >

> Email was and is designed for plain text - mailing lists were and are
> designed for plain text. The fact that an attachment can be made to an
> email that duplicates the information (but bloated) doesn't mean the
> facility should be used.

The fact the email was designed before HTML caught on isn't really that
relevant IMHO. Lots of standards get upgraded. MIME has been around for
something like 15 years - might be time to get on board!

HTML encoded email supports the character sets necessary to properly use
both our official written languages - a public mailing list run in this
country really should accept it for that reason alone. HTML email also
handles quoting better. It doesn't result in misquoted text like this:
>> > Can someone enlighten me how one sensibly and easily bottom posts in
>> reply to HTML posts which do not use the "<" conventions?

Btw, multipart/alternative and multipart/mixed are not the same thing - the
HTML is not an attachment. And the only reason email is still bloated with
plain text versions is to support luddites who stubbornly refuse to upgrade
;-)

> Stripping out the garbage for archiving is also a real pain - one of the
> reasons mailman can be so fragile these days.

 If you can't gracefully handle HTML email in 2010 the problem is yours.
It's not hard to handle.

> Why anyone would want to put any fancy formatting into an email that
> requires html beats me. Its like top posting - its just wrong!

Top/bottom posting is a different sort of issue entirely. It's about writing
for maximum ease of understanding, just like all other grammer and
punctuation rules and conventions.

Cheers,