[mythtvnz] CompactFlash to SATA adapters for /

Joel Wiramu Pauling joel at aenertia.net
Tue Nov 30 04:10:11 GMT 2010

May I just add,

that event the fastest CF and SDHC cards are much much slower than
platter hard drives.

The number X given on them (150X, mid -top of the line) is actually
the multiplier of the speed of a single speed CD-ROM drive.

i.e 150 KiB/s

so max read/write out of SDHC or CF cards is nowhere near that of SATA
or IDE disks.

They do get some advantage in terms of I/O but minimal given that even
cheap SATA discs are now averaging around 70-100 IOp/s.

For some perspective: enterprise SATA/SAS drives and Ultrascsi IOp/s
are in the 150-300 range which is why your proliant server disk from
HP is 2k$ as opposed to 200$ for the equivalent consumer SATA disc.

Just get a proper SSD.