[mythtvnz] CompactFlash to SATA adapters for /

Ross Williamson ross at inertia.net.nz
Tue Nov 30 03:39:14 GMT 2010

> Why use SATA when IDE are cheaper and work probably just as well?  No
> IDE on the motherboard?

That's often the case. The IDE adapters can be had for about $10 less
than the SATA ones IIRC.

> I would have thought that 8G would be sufficient for a frontend and
> that thereofre $56 per this auction (chosen at random, no connection
> to the seller etc etc) would do the trick:
>
> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Components/Hard-drives/Other/auction-335633407.htm

This is about what one ends up paying when you buy the adapter + CF card
separately.

It's also the same cards that I've used (8GB Kingston Elite Pro) and
even looks like the same adapter (though mine came with a 2.5" caddy
surrounding the PCB)

For those wanting to go for the cheaper 4GB cards: it can be done but is
a bit too tight if you want to perform in-place package upgrades
(generally the case!). 8GB gives a lot more breathing room.

>>> I would also be interested in seeing the actual price difference between a usefully sized and performant CF + adapter, versus the cheapest SSDs. Noting that a 32GB SSD can be had for under $120 now.

The issue is that SSDs are far too expensive to be used as storage for
recorded programmes, so generally all they get used for are the
OS+software. In which case a 32GB SSD is overkill, and at $120 is
basically twice what you'd pay for the CF solution. Obviously SSDs are
going to be a lot quicker, however.

Ross