[mythtvnz] CompactFlash to SATA adapters for /

Ross Williamson ross at inertia.net.nz
Mon Nov 29 21:16:28 GMT 2010

>  Has anyone tried running a MythTV (specifically Mythbuntu) system
> from
>  a CompactFlash card through a CF to SATA adapter?

 Yes, I have installed several on CF cards using CF to SATA adapters.
 What makes the most difference is the speed of the CF card you use. You
 can get some particularly slow ones which are just painful.

 I've had fairly good results on the Kingston Elite Pro cards using
 ext4. The speed is nothing like you'd get with a proper SSD (which have
 controllers to parallel up flash to get the speed up) but it is still
 faster at bootup etc than off a midrange platter drive.

 You probably won't want to be writing full programmes to the card as
 the sustained linear write speeds are not going to be great but they are
 fine for running the OS/MythTV itself off.

 One option I haven't explored yet is running raid0 with a couple of
 these to see if that improves speed. However the price of the cards
 starts adding up and fairly quickly you can see why SSDs are the price
 they are.

 Ross