[mythtvnz] CompactFlash to SATA adapters for /

lists at whitehouse.org.nz lists at whitehouse.org.nz
Mon Nov 29 20:01:39 GMT 2010

 Hello all,

 Has anyone tried running a MythTV (specifically Mythbuntu) system from
 a CompactFlash card through a CF to SATA adapter?

 Apparently they show up as bootable HDDs of the relevant size.

 At the moment I am using a WD Green 1TB for both my system (/) and
 storage. This is my third WD Green drive (after two failed WD Greens)
 and is one of the new EARS "Advanced Format" drives. I have my concerns
 about the performance and reliability of the drive, but don't have
 anything concrete. I use a single machine for client and server.

 Moving to solid state storage would seem to me to have three main
 advantages: remove a spinning part; improve performance; and lower power
 use. Ideally, of course, I would buy a real SSD, but that isn't in my
 price range. I also don't need a lot of storage on the SSD, as my /
 partition in Mythbuntu is only ever a few GB.

 Any thoughts?

 Aaron