[mythtvnz] Slightly OT - DVD watching

David Zanetti dave2 at wetstring.net
Sun Nov 28 22:06:26 GMT 2010

On Sat, 2010-11-27 at 19:24 +1300, Pshem Kowalczyk wrote:

> Hmm, that's a little difficult to explain :-). When I watch a movie on
> a stand-alone player the characters, background, light all look as if
> I was watching a news item on tv, not a movie. The elements are so
> 'life-like' that they look fake to my eye, almost too realistic (which
> I do admit I don't expect). The difference is like between watching a
> tropical beach in 'survivors' and in 'james bond movie'.  Perhaps I'm
> just too old for this brand new technology ? ;-)
>
> I wonder if this has anything to do with the frame rate, mythv reports
> 25fps when playing the dvd and the player believes it's 60fps.

Sounds like frame interpolation to me. I'd have expected that was a TV
feature tho. Look for "motion" named options, like motion flow or
somesuch, to disable interpolation.

(Maybe Myth is feeding it 60p so it doesn't try to interpolate, but the
standalone player is passing a 50i bitstream and the TV comes in to
"help".)

Personally I hate frame interpolation :)

--
David Zanetti <dave2 at wetstring.net>
http://hairy.geek.nz/