[mythtvnz] New Hard Drive not performing well

Wade Maxfield mythtvnz at hotblack.co.nz
Wed Nov 17 08:43:56 GMT 2010

On 17/11/2010, at 8:50 PM, Steve V wrote:

> I'd appreciate any ideas on what is going on or any suggestions on tools to test
> the hard drive performance.

Is this one of the drives that uses the new 4K blocks rather than 512 byte blocks?  I think they call it advanced format.  Do you have a jumper for disabling it?  On the WD Caviar Black 500GB I've got here jumpering pins 7-8 disables Advanced Format, although it's not documented anywhere on the drive.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/advancedformat/

But take note, on that page it says you need to do this before formatting/partitioning, so if you want to try it you'll need to move all your recordings off it first.

 - Wade