[mythtvnz] Virtual machines

Solor Vox solorvox at epic.geek.nz
Sat Nov 6 21:23:58 GMT 2010

On Sun, November 7, 2010 08:04, criggie at criggie.dyndns.org wrote:
> Has anyone had any luck running mythfrontend inside a virtual machine?
>
> I've tried virtualbox and vmware player, both of which work but the
> picture is just too slow.
>
> The host is a XP laptop with VT bit on the CPU.

Without direct hardware acceleration of the video card, it's going to be
slow.  Have you considered using mythweb and use the ASX stream links to
VLC?  Aside form installing VLC on Windows, you don't need any other
software to basically run myth.

I actually prefer using the web interface over myth on a TV/remote.  The
only real downside is the commercial skipping flags (auto skip) doesn't
work using it this way.  But you can pause/FF/RW the streams and skip them
manually.

Cheers
sV