[mythtvnz] How do you make mythtv-setup 'see' tv_grab_nz-py.py?

Richard Clarke richard at clarke.biz
Wed May 19 22:51:20 BST 2010

Hi All,

I'm a relative newcomer to MythTV, having run GBPVR on Windows boxes for
several years as my main HTPC environment. However I've gradually been
moving away from Windows based PC's to Linux for the past few years and the
last pieces of my home system to make the jump are my HTPC's, spurred on by
the desire to fully incorporate HD Freeview into my HTPC environment.

 I'm currently in the process of trying to set up my Master backend on my
server which is Mythbuntu 10.04 based. I'm struggling with the set up of the
tv_grab_nz-py.py epg grabber, or rather making mythtv-setup 'see' the
grabber. I would ideally like mythfilldatabase do the running of the script
automatically (I believe this is possible) rather than running the script
'manually' and then having mythfilldatabase suck in the resulting xmltv
listings file (though that's my back up plan if I can't get mythtv-setup to
see the grabber itself).

I've tried locating the tv_grab_nz-py.py in the /usr/bin directory where all
the other 'out of the box' Perl based grabbers reside, and making it
executable (chmod 755), however mythtv-setup (Video Sources) still couldn't
see the grabber. I've tried renaming the script to follow the convention of
the existing grabbers, i.e renamed to 'tv_grab_nz', both with and without
the '.py' extension, again with no success. I guess I'm missing something
simple here somewhere but so far I haven't discovered what. Can anyone help?
Is the key to making mythtv-setup see the NZ grabber related to it's
location in the file system (where should it reside?) or is there something
else required?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers
Richard