[mythtvnz] FFmpeg with gpu support

Brett Miller blmiller at slingshot.co.nz
Mon May 17 09:40:52 BST 2010

I could not see any reference to LATM there..
Just more excitement about HE-AAC etc..some interesting stuff found
recently..

Google has acquired On2 (VP3,6,8 Vorbis Theora) & has made a statement
that it may open source VP8; this had the Redmond et al wagons circling
with their lawyers..

Google & Mozilla have funded lots of FOSS, maybe Google is doing it only
for commercial reasons.

It is possible (hope or dream) that Theora would be the codec for HTML-5
video.
VP6 codec powers the evil Adobe Flash - check out the latest Flash DRM.
VP3 codec powers Theora now.
VP8 is promoted as being better fast - roll the "Six million dollar man"
theme .

Stupid rhetorical questions:
Is Google planning to use VP8 with Android to stop handset makers giving
money to MPEG-LA ? (all handsets enabled with flash pay)
Apple iProduct handset must have the same problem & this could be the
reason for the recent Adobe-Apple tiff.
Apple would not want Adobe controlling the advertising by DRM; better
the "iVideo" store than the "aFlashVid" store.

Maybe Google is going to transcode UTube into Theora format & end
Flash's grip ?

Brett.