[mythtvnz] Realtek NICs

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Thu May 13 05:28:09 BST 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Graeme Woollett <g.woollett at irl.cri.nz>wrote:

> See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1022411

That thread seems to be saying that the problem is the driver not the chip.
It also sounds like it's specific to using the 8169 driver with embedded
8111 or 8168 chips.

As I said I haven't had any problems with my 8169 PCI card. Thought I can't
say I've managed to hit full gigabit speeds on any of my gear. File sharing
is bottlenecked by CPU and/or disk well below the gigabit level.
Benchmarking with netio I can get about 58MB/s (TCP), still limited by the
CPU in the fileserver. Between my desktop and laptop I can get up to about
75MB/s and it doesn't seem to be pegging the CPUs (I guess it might be
pegging one of the cores in the laptop). It seem likely that the cheap
switches I'm using are a bottleneck.

Cheers,