[mythtvnz] Realtek NICs

Graeme Woollett g.woollett at irl.cri.nz
Thu May 13 04:41:43 BST 2010

On 13/05/10 15:14, Steve Hodge wrote:
> Graeme Woollett wrote, On 05/13/2010 09:45 AM:
> > Completely OT - How many people here have r8169 gigabit ethernet chips
> > (on the m/b) in their machines? I have them in all my machines and
> they miserably fail under high load
> > (i.e. gigabit speeds).
>
> What do you mean by fail - stop working completely? I've got a file
> server with a 8169 on a PCI card and haven't seen anything like that.
> Though it maxes out the CPU before reaching full speed so perhaps
> that's why.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1022411

The chip is an 8169.  The problem appears in all the main
distributions.  At sub gigabit rates it's fine.  Google "r8169 heavy
load" and you will see what I mean.
For a few minutes it simply stops working, once the load is taken away
it recovers.  As said the module source that Realtek supply doesn't have
the problem.

It's fine to replace it with a good NIC if you have an ATX m/b, but if
you have a micro-ATX m/b you may not have any choice...

--
Graeme Woollett
ph 04 931 0193
email g.woollett at irl.cri.nz