[mythtvnz] VLC and VDPAU

Ross and Jemima Knudsen ross.jemima at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 06:30:19 BST 2010

Stephen Worthington wrote:
> It is unusual to actually use LiveTV to really watch a program.  Most
> people seem to just record the program, then watch it while it is
> still recording if necessary.  That is completely reliable in my
> experience.  I have not had any problems with LiveTV in Mythbuntu
> 9.10, but I only use it to peek at things rather than running it for
> an hour or more.

I've been meaning to pipe in on this long running theme for a little
while now.  Not trying to hijack this thread or anything but live TV is
useful in some circumstances.  For instance TVNZ6/Kidzone is a great
channel to put on for the kids to watch (keeps them occupied) but you
don't really want to schedule recordings and fill up disk space with it.
 If anyone else uses live TV do you notice that when the shows
transition there is a hiccup which I assume is caused by the change to
the recorded file?

> I am surprised that there are people finding DVB-T less reliable than
> DVB-S.  Unless you are trying to play HD recordings across a WiFi
> connection (too slow), there should not be any problems now. Certainly
> not if it comes off a local hard disk.

FYI - HD recordings and live TV work well for me.