[mythtvnz] Hardware Recommendations

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Sat Mar 27 05:27:01 GMT 2010

On 26/03/2010, at 12:57 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:

> As a long time user of S-Video and S-VHS, I can say that there is not
> much difference noticeable between S-Video and component video.  The
> theoretical difference is really just a little colour crosstalk, and
> with good source material I have not found it to be a problem.  VGA
> has generally historically been better than component, but only
> because it had lots more pixels (eg 1024x768 vs 720x576).  I think
> they are pretty equivalent technically.  Composite is to be avoided at
> all costs - it really is bad by comparison.

The testing we did with myPVR showed quite a big difference between Component, SVideo and Composite from the M2NPV-VM boards we used. Aside from the cross talk differences was the fact we could run greater resolutions over component, including 720p for one customer.

Steve

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz