[mythtvnz] Hardware Recommendations

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Mar 26 04:34:31 GMT 2010

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 16:46:47 +1300, you wrote:

>On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Stephen Worthington
><stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:45:45 +1300, you wrote:
>>
>>>some do, some are poor quality. Remember too composite and s-video are
>>>the two poorest quality of reproduction, but you may be happy with
>>>them. The hierarchy is pretty well:
>>>
>>>composite
>>>s-video
>>>component/vga (not too sure what order to put them in)
>>>hdmi/dvi (equivalent)
>>
>> As a long time user of S-Video and S-VHS, I can say that there is not
>> much difference noticeable between S-Video and component video.  The
>> theoretical difference is really just a little colour crosstalk, and
>> with good source material I have not found it to be a problem.  VGA
>> has generally historically been better than component, but only
>> because it had lots more pixels (eg 1024x768 vs 720x576).  I think
>> they are pretty equivalent technically.  Composite is to be avoided at
>> all costs - it really is bad by comparison.
>>
>> I would think that problems converting VGA to component would likely
>> be because of the converter trying to resize the picture.  If you were
>> putting out 720x576 VGA and converting that to 720x576 component with
>> the resizing switched off, it should give excellent results.  Resizing
>> of video is one of the worse things to do to it, and getting it right
>> is difficult.
>
>Your post is, in part, nonsense. Component will do 1080i. I think you
>are confusing component and composite, which is a common error.

No, I am not confused.  Component can do 1080i, yes.  But up until
recently it was only normally used with CRT TVs, at 720x576, typically
from DVD players.  That is the way most people have seen component
video.  And in quality it is very similar to S-Video.  I can not say
that I have ever tried S-Video at 1080i, but it is likely possible as
typically S-Video and component outputs are created by the same
hardware in a chip, with just an extra stage at the end to create the
two S-Video colour signals from the three original colour signal.