[mythtvnz] Hardware Recommendations

David Zanetti dave2 at wetstring.net
Fri Mar 26 22:08:16 GMT 2010

On Fri, 2010-03-26 at 21:55 +1300, Brett Miller wrote:
> HDMI can not achieve the performance limit of DVI; you rate it to
> highly.
> The cable & connector is cheap.

This is nonsense. It's a bitstream, the cable and connector cannot
influence it beyond making it either go or not. Provided it meets
minimum specs, nothing else matters.

Given HDMI is a superset of the DVI specifications, it makes no sense to
claim DVI has some superior performance characteristics of it's
bitstream.

> A video card with only HDMI connectors might be required to ONLY work
> with full DRM !

Again, nonsense. There's almost no support for HDCP in Linux, but HDMI
connectors work fine. You misunderstand the HDCP protocol as it applies
to HDMI (and, might I add, DVI, since HDCP works on DVI ports as well).

HDCP is not a mandatory part of the spec, and endpoints are not obliged
to negotiate it. However, some content sources will only work if it has
been negotiated. But that's entirely a content choice, not connector or
spec choice.

--
David Zanetti <dave2 at wetstring.net>
http://hairy.geek.nz/