[mythtvnz] Hardware Recommendations

Brett Miller blmiller at slingshot.co.nz
Fri Mar 26 08:55:10 GMT 2010

HDMI can not achieve the performance limit of DVI; you rate it to highly.
The cable & connector is cheap.
HDMI has failed to find favour in the audiophile camp due to timing
jitter issues.
HDMI exists for DRM & to insure the removal computer equipment
connectors from AV equipment.
Equipment fitted with DVI-I was allowed to output upscaled 720, 1080 &
1152 analogue signals.

A video card with only HDMI connectors might be required to ONLY work
with full DRM !

Analogue signals usually look best on an analogue display.
Digital link bypasses a RAMDAC on the videocard & bypasses the ADC DFP
frontend.
This can only be better unless something is badly configured.
Also should make for a cheaper video card & cheaper DFP.

A high speed (200MHz) analogue signal requires controlled impedance
cabling system.
Ghosting could be reflections from mismatch etc .

Most (all) DFP have a frontend pre-scaler. Only laptop & iMac (internal)
screens lack the pre-scaler, in this case the GPU does a virtual
pre-scale & always drives panel at native resolution.
The pre-scaler implementation has a huge impact on image quality.
I would say it is a must to only drive DFPs  at native resolution & via
digital link if possible.
Cheap DFPs must have cheap pre-scalers; they should not be able to
better the videocard GPU.

BUT my Philips Matchline CRT upscaler is much better than the PC video
card upscaling DVD playback !
This is probably my poor mplayer configuration.