[mythtvnz] Hardware Recommendations

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 00:14:31 GMT 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 11:49 AM, David Kirk <davidrkirk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Nick,
>
>> Danger Danger Will Robinson: There are at least two types of DVI,
>> digital and analogue. I THINK that a DVI->component connector will
>> only work with DVI-A whereas the output from most DVI graphics cards
>> is DVI-D.
>
> Thanks for the warning.
>
>> SCART may have some options, but you need to know what options your
>> scart in supports. scart has a number of options, s-video, RGB and
>> component, but not all are necessarily supported in a given device.
>> There is a method, I believe, of doing VGA to SCART-RGB. It involves a
>> small amount of electronics.
>
> There seem to be some VGA to component cables around.  Do you think
> that would work?  It's all analogue signals right?
>
> The back of the TV has about 4 SCART connectors.  At least 2 of them
> already have adaptors in them that have composite cables going in to
> them, but they also have S-video sockets on them.  The TV is a
> Panasonic 76PW60A.  The manual is at
> http://panasonic.com.au/content/library/files/F000623.pdf.  Pages 32
> to 34 give details about connecting devices.
>
> I will replace the TV eventually, but for now I'm stuck with it.

Component comes in two flavours, RGB and YPbPr. SCART officially only
carries RGB, but it looks like yours will carry YPbPr as well (see
connectors AV1/AV4 on page 32).

Most video cards that do component do YPbPr so if you find a component
video card that works with VDPAU that should be your best bet. If it
does HDMI/DVI then you are future proofed too. DVI and HDMI can be
considered electrically equivalent.

Take a look at the relevant wikipedia pages for details on all the
terms we are discussing. It's basically where most of my knowledge of
such matters comes from, and from being on the mythtv-users list.