[mythtvnz] Hardware Recommendations

David Kirk davidrkirk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 20:50:30 GMT 2010

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all your responses.  You've all been very helpful.

I've found a DVI to component cable, so I'll get an NVidia card with
VPDAU and DVI output and connect to the component sockets on the TV.
The video card will have HDMI as well, so I'm future proofed there.

I've done a bit of searching about the TBS 6980 tuner card.  Mixed
messages about it working with MythTV, but I'll make sure I can return
it if it is not suitable.  This link says it should work
http://www.tbsdtv.com/english/product/6980.html.  That page even has a
MythTV logo on it.  I just really like the idea of having both tuners
on the same card so it takes up less space inside the PC.  I'll make
sure the PC I choose has room for 2 individual tuners just in case.

I know it would be preferable to have a backend system in the garage,
or in the "Harry Potter" cupboard under the stairs, but while I'm
still dealing exclusively with SD content, I think I'll just combine
them in to one box in the TV cabinet.  As I understand it, when I
start dealing with HD content I'll need a gruntier box and maybe more
storage.

Now I just have to find the right PC and case to put it all in.

Thanks

David Kirk