[mythtvnz] Hardware Recommendations

Tim Gibson tdegibson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 08:21:02 GMT 2010

Hi David

I've still got my old 29" CRT hooked up in the other room and my current
FE/BE machine is an older Celeron 2.8GHz CPU with an nVidia 6200 video card,
I've two separate DVB-S tuners, no HD as UHF reception here is not strong
enough.  Out of the 6200 I'm using the dongle to send an s-video signal
around the house (my CRT can't handle component).  This also goes to the LCD
in the main living room.

Like other's I've found we don't watch too much live TV anymore, just
program the guide what you normally watch and just add new programs as they
start, my database is around five year's old so it's quite valuable to me
now, make sure you set up a BACKUP regime for your database.  Heroes is back
on C4 didn't even know till I was going through my recordings...

I've just updated my main desktop so soon I'll have a flash new FE/BE 1.8GHz
Core2 and a 9600GT.

Regards
Tim

On 23 March 2010 20:48, Brett Miller <blmiller at slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

> There are loads of vdpau capable video cards with component out & DVI/VGA.
> Asus 9400GT  for one..there are 3 ? versions of this, some with no
> component only HDMI (Bad).
> The component out will do HD1080 as well.
> Must check (cheque) the full/exact part number
>
> Many of us are waiting for the nVidia GT220 silent to arrive on our shores.
> This should have the performance/price/power as a winning combination.
>
> The later DVI video cards can be connected to HDMI TV later anyway.
> HDMI is a subset of the capability of DVI.
>
> You may need a custom modeline to get the best out your CRT.
>
> Wired networks are more pain to build but can not be bettered by wireless
> except on the couch with a laptop.
>

> On 23/03/2010 7:02 p.m., criggie at criggie.dyndns.org wrote:
>
> David Kirk wrote:
>

>  If I put a separate backend in the garage, would 802.11g wireless to
> the frontend be sufficient or will it require a wired network
> connection?
>

>  Maybe - I have a eee laptop that works as a frontend fine over 11g, but
> its a bit laggier.   Wired ethernet is all good.
>

>  The TV has SCART and component connectors.  It might even have
> composite.  Are there any video cards with component outputs?  If not,
> I guess I can go with composite.  You mentioned VDPAU.  What does that
> give me, and is it really necessary for a system with SD content going
> through composite or component video?
>

>  VDPAU is hardware acceleration done in the NVidia chipset.  Its good,
> but not essential.  None of my gear supports it, and all playback SD
> recordings fine.  It makes the difference with HD I understand.
>
> This might be your most difficult part of the problem.
>
> You have options -
> 1) get a video card that has composite out
> 2) get a video card that has HDMI out and find some HDMI to Component
> adapter box thing
> 2b) Use a VGA to Composite adapter box
> 3) use a VGA LCD in the meantime and retask it on your desktop later
> 4) blow the budget and get a HDMI TV and HDMI video card.
>

>  > I guess I just take a cable from the sound card to the 2 RCA connectors
>

>  for left and right.
>

>  Yes that'll be fine.

Regards
Tim, Donna and Erin Gibson