[mythtvnz] No sound in frontend...

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Mar 23 09:50:40 GMT 2010

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 21:44:03 +1300, you wrote:

>On 23 March 2010 19:54, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > That should work with MythTV set to ALSA: default.
>>
>> not necessarily. Some laptops and other cards with recent alsa need
>> ALSA:front
>>
>> > Then you need to
>> > run alsamixer and check that everything you are using is enabled and
>> > has the volume level turned up.  And then check the volume setting in
>> > MythTV, both the default value in the setup somewhere, and the one
>> > controlled by the remote.  And check if the remote has the sound
>> > muted.  I once spent 10 minutes trying to figure out where my sound
>> > had gone when I had sat on the remote and muted it by mistake.

>Output from aplay -L:
>
>default:CARD=Intel
>    HDA Intel, CONEXANT Analog
>    Default Audio Device
>front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>    HDA Intel, CONEXANT Analog
>    Front speakers
>surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>    HDA Intel, CONEXANT Analog
>    4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
>surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>    HDA Intel, CONEXANT Analog
>    4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
>surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>    HDA Intel, CONEXANT Analog
>    5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
>surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>    HDA Intel, CONEXANT Analog
>    5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
>surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>    HDA Intel, CONEXANT Analog
>    7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
>null
>    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
>
>I seem to remember reading somewhere about sound profiles, but I can't
>remember where.
>
>However, all my options are set back to ALSA:default or just plain default.
> Also both my PCM and master mixer volumes are set to 100% and PCM is my
>mixer...
>
>As far as remotes are concerned, the HVR 1200 doesn't have one...  I'm
>hoping that means I can't mute it...  :-)
>
>Brendan

No, you can mute from the keyboard.  Remote commands are translated
into keyboard commands.  According to this page:

  http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-11.html

mute is F9, or |, unless you have reprogrammed it.  There are lots of
interesting keyboard commands that few people use - have a read of
that page.  You can reprogram the keyboard from here:

  http://127.0.0.1/mythweb/settings/mythtv/keys

and I think there is also a setup menu somewhere.  My setup shows that
\ is also a mute key.