[mythtvnz] Hardware Recommendations

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Tue Mar 23 07:29:06 GMT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Kirk" <davidrkirk at gmail.com>
To: "MythTV in NZ" <mythtvnz at lists.linuxnut.co.nz>
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:58 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtvnz] Hardware Recommendations

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 12:59 PM,  <criggie at criggie.dyndns.org> wrote:

>>> I guess I'll need a video card that has component outputs to the TV.
>> Another box of worms.... you currently have an analogue CRT TV which
> will probably have RF (old aerial) and composite (yellow) video in. It
> might have any of component (3 rca connectors in red/green/blue) , scart
> (whacky oblong thing), etc etc.

>The TV has SCART and component connectors.  It might even have
composite.

>Are there any video cards with component outputs?

Yes, usually via dongle

>If not, I guess I can go with composite.  You mentioned VDPAU.  What does that
give me, and is it really necessary for a system with SD content going
through composite or component video?

>> How big is the current CRT? You could use a VGA LCD short term.... a
> 22" is about $300 or a 32" LCD with HDMI doing 720p is about $700
> retail. No point buying a 1080p capable screen if you're only using
> DVB-S (other than DVDs/blueray etc)

>I may look to upgrade the TV later on, but right now I just need to
get some way of recording stuff.

You might get more focussed comment out of the list if you advised your TV brand and model number.  A URL to its manual is likely to
get you even more specific advise.  For example how this might help, from what's been said I cannot be sure whether you have
component or RGB in to your TV and certainly what you'd, at best, see given either of those inputs.

Also see http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Vdpau - and use the search tool.