[mythtvnz] Multiseat Myth?

Ross and Jemima Knudsen ross.jemima at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 22:37:17 GMT 2010

On 16 March 2010 10:30, Brett Miller <blmiller at slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
> As of nVidia driver 190.53
> "VDPAU now allows multiple streams to be decoded at once, without the need
> to set any environment variables. vpdau has been able to decode multiple
> streams." http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2141387

Now that looks promising!

> On 16/03/2010 8:00 a.m., Nick Rout wrote:
> This question has been asked here before and I think I gave much the
> same answer then:
> Search the mythtvusers mailing list. I have seen someone describe a
> similar successful setup. If you want acceleration on each monitor,
> you will probably need a graphics card for each monitor.

Thanks Nick, I'll try looking through the archives and let you know
how I get on.

Steve, thanks for your thoughts on the frontend settings, I hadn't
thought that far through but you're right they would have the same
hostname.  As for the audio, I'm sure there must be a way to get it to
work with only one sound card.  If my sound card does 7.1 (ie 8
channels) surely I can get 2 x 2.1 streams.  I haven't found anything
on the net so far on this most things seem to want to combine multiple
sound cards into a single virtual card rather than split one into
multiple.

As for controlling the system, there seem to be ways to use separate
mouse and keyboards on multiseat systems.  Ideally it would be great
to have the keyboard and mouse use one of the seats by default and use
a keyboard shortcut to toggle between them (ie run a script to switch
seats).