[mythtvnz] Tuning mythtv in Dunedin

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Mar 9 02:47:36 GMT 2010

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 15:11:54 +1300, you wrote:

>Stephen,
>
>Hmmm...  This is the result of the query;
>
>+---------+----------+-------------+-----------+-----------+
>| mplexid | sourceid | transportid | networkid | frequency |
>+---------+----------+-------------+-----------+-----------+
>|       1 |        1 |          28 |      8746 | 650000000 |
>|       5 |        1 |          33 |      8746 | 730000000 |
>|       4 |        1 |          29 |      8746 | 666000000 |
>+---------+----------+-------------+-----------+-----------+
>
>It seems I have all 3.
>
>Actually I have been hacking in the interim and have created a nz-MtCargill
>file in /usr/share/dvb/dvb-t/ from the Waiatarua one (which was the only NZ
>file there) using values I found on the net.  Since then I have got channel
>100, the HD demo channel.
>
>When I do a channel scan, I get 3 distinct groups of channel locks;  one at
>ch 43 (4 probable channels but only TV1 and TV2 appear), one at ch 45 (3
>probable channels but only TV3 appears) and one at ch 53 (11 probable
>channels but only the HD demo channel appears).
>
>I also adjusted the timeouts for playback channel locking in the card setup
>section (doubled from 1 sec to 2) and the tuning lock (increased from 2 secs
>to 5 secs).  This improved the reliability of at least the channel
>scanning...
>
>Apparently, some people have a channels.txt file which I have failed to find
>on my system.  I have seen examples, but none that I would guess would work
>in Dunedin, even if I knew where to put it or how to import it...
>
>Thanks for your help so far.
>
>Brendan

OK, that looks valid.  I am guessing that you have tried tuning more
than once, which might be why the mplexid values are not 1, 2 and 3.
Your mplexid values seem to be:
1 = TVNZ multiplex
4 = CanWest multiplex
5 = Kordia multiplex

Here is an SQL query to see what your channel table looks like:

select
chanid,channum,freqid,sourceid,callsign,name,xmltvid,mplexid,serviceid
from channel order by chanid;

(Again, all one line).  Here is the result of that query on my channel
table, except I have deleted all my Sky channels to just leave the
DVB-T ones:

+--------+---------+--------+----------+-------------------+-----------------------+---------------------------------+---------+-----------+
| chanid | channum | freqid | sourceid | callsign          | name                  | xmltvid                         | mplexid | serviceid |
+--------+---------+--------+----------+-------------------+-----------------------+---------------------------------+---------+-----------+
|   1001 | 1       | 48     |        1 | TV ONE            | TV ONE                | tv1.freeviewnz.tv               |       1 |      1200 |
|   1002 | 2       | 48     |        1 | TV2               | TV2                   | tv2.freeviewnz.tv               |       1 |      1201 |
|   1003 | 3       | 50     |        1 | TV3               | TV3                   | tv3.freeviewnz.tv               |       2 |      1300 |
|   1004 | 4       | 50     |        1 | C4                | C4                    | c4.freeviewnz.tv                |       2 |      1301 |
|   1005 | 5       | 59     |        1 | Maori Television  | Maori Television      | maori-tv.freeviewnz.tv          |       3 |      1400 |
|   1006 | 6       | 48     |        1 | TVNZ 6            | TVNZ 6                | tvnz6.freeviewnz.tv             |       1 |      1202 |
|   1007 | 7       | 48     |        1 | TVNZ 7            | TVNZ 7                | tvnz7.freeviewnz.tv             |       1 |      1203 |
|   1008 | 8       | 50     |        1 | TV3 PLUS1         | TV3 PLUS1             | tv3-plus1.freeviewnz.tv         |       2 |      1302 |
|   1010 | 10      | 59     |        1 | PRIME             | PRIME                 | prime.freeviewnz.tv             |       3 |      1404 |
|   1022 | 22      | 59     |        1 | Parliament TV     | Parliament TV         | parliament.freeviewnz.tv        |       3 |      1401 |
|   1028 | 28      | 59     |        1 | ChineseTV         | ChineseTV             | ctv8.freeviewnz.tv              |       3 |      1403 |
|   1050 | 50      | 59     |        1 | Radio NZ National | Radio NZ National     | rnz-national.freeviewnz.tv      |       3 |      2000 |
|   1051 | 51      | 59     |        1 | Radio NZ Concert  | Radio NZ Concert      | rnz-concert.freeviewnz.tv       |       3 |      2001 |
|   1071 | 71      | 59     |        1 | BaseFM            | BaseFM                | base-fm.freeviewnz.tv           |       3 |      2002 |
|   1100 | 100     | 59     |        1 | Freeview | HD     | Freeview | HD         |                                 |       3 |      1406 |
|   1242 | 242     | 59     |        1 | Test Channel      | Test Channel          |                                 |       3 |      1402 |
|   1245 | 245     | 59     |        1 | Reserved 6KSD     | Reserved 6KSD         |                                 |       3 |      1405 |
|   1700 | 700     | 48     |        1 | Zinwell SSU       | Zinwell SSU           |                                 |       1 |      1250 |

In this table, the mplexid tells MythTV which of the multiplexes in
the dvb_multiplex table to use.  The serviceid tells it which of the
data streams on that multiplex is the channel that is wanted.  The
freqid is the channel number of the multiplex.  Frequencies and
channel numbers are directly convertible one to the other, so the
freqid value should match the frequency value in the corresponding
dvb_multiplex table row.  The channum is the channel number that you
use on your remote to select that channel.  The chanid is an internal
identifier used to look up tables in the database.  It is also what
appears on the front of the filenames for each recording.  I manually
adjusted my channel table to make sure that the chanid and channum
values matched - I have them as 1000 + chanid for the DVB-T channels
and 2000 + chanid for the Sky channels.

You might like to take a look at this thread in our archives:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/417104#417104

to see a bit more about how everything works.

Once you post your channel table data, it should be possible for me to
make a script similar to the channum.sh one in that thread to create a
valid DVB-T only channel table for you.

It would be nice to know what is going wrong with your tuning process
though.  It should have found all the channels on the multiplexes.
Once it has a multiplex tuned, there is no reason I can see for it to
only find a few of the channels on that multiplex.