[mythtvnz] Next problem --- Audio over DVI to HDMI

Jonathan Hoskin jonathan.hoskin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 20:19:48 GMT 2010

> The reason for wanting sound on the HDMI cable is because it simplifies
> cabling and because most LCDs are expecting the sound to be sent with
> the video. Telling the TV to take sound from another input doesn't sound
> like its possible in a lot of cases and appears to be the case in my
> situation.  The Analogue sound input seems only to work when using the
> VGA interface.

I have an older Panasonic 42" and nothing else. I tried for ages to do HDMI
audio. Between the loud pops and crackles when starting video, lack of AC3
support on the TV and the occasional complete loss of audio I gave up and
went back to analog.

Because I like to use the volume control on the Myth remote (and not on the
TV remote), I had to turn on the software mixer, which in my case was fairly
craptastic when dealing with digital audio.

> Then in Ubuntu the taskbars are
> missing again until I rung nvidia-settings and then the mode switches to
> HDMI on the TV and it resizes the screen correctly.  This happens
> immediately on launching nvidia-settings without changing anything or
> saving a new config.

Yep, this happened to me too. You need to run a startup script which quietly
loads up the nvidia settings when Gnome starts.

First, just make sure you have a *~/.nvidia-settings-rc* file, with your
overscan settings already in them. This *should* already be present because
they load OK when you run nvidia-settings manually. Check for a line like
this (yours will probably say 100 I guess):

0/OverscanCompensation[DFP-0]=65

Then, create a Gnome startup file called *
~/.config/autostart/nvidia-settings.desktop*, then restart GDM or
logout/login or reboot:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=nvidia-settings -l
Hidden=false
X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true
Name[en_NZ]=Nvidia Settings Apply
Name=Nvidia Settings Apply
Comment[en_NZ]=
Comment=

I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

Jonathan