[mythtvnz] Problem with desktop extending beyond screen edge

Jean-Francois Pirus jfpn at clearfield.com
Sat Mar 6 09:21:52 GMT 2010

> Not sure if this is a myth problem directly or not. I just got a new LCD
> TV (42" Konka - nice and cheap from DSE).  However I'm having trouble
> with the resolution.  I can set it to 1080P and get the DVI to HDMI
> output on the TV fine however I'm missing all the sides of the screen.
> So I can't see my taskbar at the top or bottom of the screen and am
> missing a small area from the edges.  I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 AMD_64.
> I've searched on the web a little but am getting sick of wrecking my
> xconfig files and having to fix the display up!  I tried connecting my
> Windows 7 laptop to the DVI cable and it displays perfectly with no
> missing edges at the same resolution so I can be confident that the TV
> is working OK which leaves me with Linux...  Also I'm using JYA's Nvidia
> drivers on a Geforce 9400 GT.

It's a TV problem, most TV will chop the edges of to get rid of noise at the
edges, not very usefull with 1080p signals...

Hopefully your TV will have a setting like "Just Scan", it should be where
you specify 4:3 or 16:9 and "some other weird name" to just display the
actual pixels.

Jean-Francois Pirus     <jfp at clearfield.com>           Technical Manager
Phone (+64-9)  358 2081                          Clearfield Software Ltd
Fax   (+64-9)  358 2083                    1st Floor 8-10 Whitaker Place
Mob   (+64-21) 640 779                P O Box 3901 Auckland, New Zealand