[mythtvnz] RF remote works with linux?

Geoff mythtv at jagds.com
Fri Mar 5 06:56:13 GMT 2010

[mailto:mythtvnz-bounces at lists.linuxnut.co.nz] On Behalf Of Ross and Jemima
Knudsen
>Sent: Friday, March 05, 2010 2:47 PM
>To: mythtvnz at lists.linuxnut.co.nz
>Subject: [mythtvnz] RF remote works with linux?
>
>Hi all,
>
>I've been looking for a decent RF remote of late and I think I have
>found one that seems pretty good but I can't find a lot of information
>about whether it will work on Linux or not.  Link to it is here:
>
>http://www.expansys.co.nz/d.aspx?i=160461
>
>I can't find the manufacturer's website so if anyone knows if I'll
h>ave any luck with it before I buy one let me know.  Alternatively if
>anyone has recommendations for a RF remote feel free to recommend.
>
>Cheers
>Rossco

Hi Ross,

If you follow Jean's link
You can compare the lsusb -v output from my Hauppauge MCE which work's fine
http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=378244

Bus 002 Device 004: ID 1784:0001 TopSeed Technology Corp.
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.10
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        16
  idVendor           0x1784 TopSeed Technology Corp.
  idProduct          0x0001
  bcdDevice            0.00
  iManufacturer           1
  iProduct                2
  iSerial                 3
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           32
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xa0
      (Bus Powered)
      Remote Wakeup
    MaxPower              100mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass    255 Vendor Specific Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol    255 Vendor Specific Protocol
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x01  EP 1 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0010  1x 16 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0010  1x 16 bytes
        bInterval               0

Looking at the picture of it, the button layout looks pretty much the same
apart from missing the red,green,yellow, blue buttons at the bottom.
looks like Ascent would be cheaper, inc GST & includes shipping.

I'm using the receiver from the MCE kit with 2 remotes no problems..
Here's my lircd.conf

begin remote

 name  NOVA-T500
 bits           13
 flags RC5|CONST_LENGTH
 eps            30
 aeps          256

 one             914     916
 zero            914     916
 plead           913
 gap          111992
 toggle_bit_mask 0x800

     begin codes
         Go                       0x17BB
         Power                    0x17BD
         TV                       0x179C
         Videos                   0x1798
         Music                    0x1799
         Pictures                 0x179A
         Guide                    0x179B
         Radio                    0x178C
         ArrowUp                  0x1794
         ArrowLeft                0x1796
         OK                       0x17A5
         ArrowRight               0x1797
         ArrowDown                0x1795
         BackExit                 0x179F
         Menu                     0x178D
         VolumeUp                 0x1790
         VolumeDown               0x1791
         PrevCh                   0x1792
         Mute                     0x178F
         ChannelUp                0x17A0
         ChannelDown              0x17A1
         Record                   0x17B7
         Rewind                   0x17B2
         SkipBack                 0x17A4
         Play                     0x17B5
         Pause                    0x17B0
         Stop                     0x17B6
         Fwdwind                  0x17B4
         SkipFwd                  0x179E
         1                        0x1781
         2                        0x1782
         3                        0x1783
         4                        0x1784
         5                        0x1785
         6                        0x1786
         7                        0x1787
         8                        0x1788
         9                        0x1789
         Star                     0x178A
         0                        0x1780
         Hash                     0x178E
         Enter                    0x17A7
         one                      0x0046
         two                      0x0050
         three                    0x0051
         four                     0x004B
         five                     0x004C
         six                      0x004D
         seven                    0x0047
         eight                    0x0048
         nine                     0x0049
         ten                      0x0052
         Red                      0x178B
         Green                    0x17AE
         Yellow                   0x17B8
         Blue                     0x17A9
     end codes

end remote

begin remote

  name  mce
  bits           13
  flags RC6|NO_HEAD_REP|CONST_LENGTH
  eps            30
  aeps          100

  header       2665   864
  one           433   450
  zero          433   450
  pre_data_bits   24
  pre_data       0x1BFF83
  gap          105848
  toggle_bit_mask 0x8000
  rc6_mask    0x100000000

      begin codes

   Messenger   0x1b9b

    Blue        0x1ba1
    Yellow      0x1ba2
    Green       0x1ba3
    Red         0x1ba4
    Teletext    0x1ba5

    Radio       0x1baf
    Print       0x1bb1
    Videos      0x1bb5
    Pictures    0x1bb6
    RecTV       0x1bb7
    Music       0x1bb8
    TV          0x1bb9

    Guide       0x1bd9
    LiveTV      0x1bda
    DVD         0x1bdb
    Back        0x1bdc
    OK          0x1bdd
    Right       0x1bde
    Left        0x1bdf
    Down        0x1be0
    Up          0x1be1

    Star        0x1be2
    Hash        0x1be3

    Replay      0x1be4
    Skip        0x1be5
    Stop        0x1be6
    Pause       0x1be7
    Record      0x1be8
    Play        0x1be9
    Rewind      0x1bea
    Forward     0x1beb
    ChanDown    0x1bec
    ChanUp      0x1bed
    VolDown     0x1bee
    VolUp       0x1bef
    Info        0x1bf0
    Mute        0x1bf1
    Home        0x1bf2
    Power       0x1bf3
    Enter       0x1bf4
    Clear       0x1bf5
        0       0x1bff
        1       0x1BFE
        2       0x1BFD
        3       0x1BFC
        4       0x1BFB
        5       0x1BFA
        6       0x1BF9
        7       0x1BF8
        8       0x1BF7
        9       0x1BF6
      end codes

end remote

regards
Geoff

> I can't find the manufacturer's website so if anyone knows if I'll
> have any luck with it before I buy one let me know.  Alternatively if
> anyone has recommendations for a RF remote feel free to recommend.

Looks like it's a plain mceusb device

Manufacturer:
http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=517&txtModelID=39
01

Jean-Francois Pirus     <jfp at clearfield.com>           Technical Manager
Phone (+64-9)  358 2081                          Clearfield Software Ltd
Fax   (+64-9)  358 2083                    1st Floor 8-10 Whitaker Place
Mob   (+64-21) 640 779                P O Box 3901 Auckland, New Zealand