[mythtvnz] GeForce xfx 6200 & WinTV-NOVA-TD 500?

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 10:28:12 BST 2010

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 8:07 PM, mythtv <mythicalbeast at slingshot.co.nz>wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-06-13 at 15:23 +1200, Steve Hodge wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 2:13 PM, mythtv
> > <mythicalbeast at slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
> >         If this device can do h.264 playback on 10W what is nVidia
> >         doing with
> >         the other 100W !
> >
> > 3D obviously.
> >
> > 10W isn't at all impressive - devices like the iPhone do h.264
> > decoding on a lot less power than that (the 3GS battery has a maximum
> > charge of about 4.5Wh - if it took 10W to decode h.264 you'd get less
> > than 30 mins battery life).
> >
> Was meant as rhetorical question really but.
> The iProduct has 10x less pixels and custom hardware & crafted firmware,
> no upscaling or deinterlace & only one screen.

The iPhone 3G and 3GS have 150K pixels but the 4G is 600K and the iPad is
800K - more than a 1/3 of 1080p - and it's not use 33W either. But that was
just a convenient example - there are any number of hardware decoder chips
available (use Google), and none of them require 10W let alone 100W.

> No openGL & other 3d stuff ?

Bingo. Like I said, nVidia cards require 100W to do their 3D processing, not
to decode h.264.

Cheers,