[mythtvnz] GeForce xfx 6200 & WinTV-NOVA-TD 500?

mythtv mythicalbeast at slingshot.co.nz
Mon Jun 14 09:38:48 BST 2010

> Yup. I don't know where this perception that encoded video is
> bandwidth intensive has come from but it seems to be pretty widespread
> despite being dead wrong. As you say PCI has about 20x the 1080p is
> about 2 megapixels per frame x 4 bytes = 8MB per frame. PCI could only
> manage about 16 frames per second. So yes, PCI can't do raw 1080p60.
> But AGP 8x is 2133MB/s and could quite happily handle five 1080p60
> streams at once. If you can get the pixels to the bus then AGP 8x is
> more than capable of pushing them to the video card.
>
>         Remember these cards probably use an API that myth and other
>         media
>         players do not (yet) know how to play with.
>
> This is the key question in my mind. Does the card have X drivers? If
> not then can it's video buffer be accessed directly? Because if it
> can't then you couldn't do the gui or the OSD via that card. It looks
> like a similar situation to the old PVR350 output - an option that is
> no longer supported in myth and always had significant limitations
> relative to using a normal video card (some people were willing to
> live with those limitations for the superior interlaced output but
> with vdpau that advantage seems to be gone). I really doubt there will
> be any interest from the devs in this sort of thing so someone else
> will need to step up.

My PCs, even the Linux ones , don't achieve the theoretical throughput
for long/ever. The PC has not been able to decode/display h.264 until
recently even with good hardware. This is the difference between a
flexible multi-purpose device and an appliance.

The Reel multimedia device makes hints at Linux.
If they are selling the tuner cards & display card (are they ??) they'll
need drivers for them or would this be undermining their HTPC box
market.
As you pointed out this does not mean the video frame buffer is
available to any GUI etc..
It is still a nicely engineered solution for OEM box.

Maybe it would be better to consider run linux/ Mythtv frontend on the
ARM SoC in the Sammy TV ??

Brett