[mythtvnz] GeForce xfx 6200 & WinTV-NOVA-TD 500?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 04:25:53 BST 2010

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 1:44 PM, Morgan Read <mstuff at read.org.nz> wrote:
> My first post...
>
> I'm wanting to turn an old Dell Optiplex gx270 into a pvr...
>
> I've done some research and it seems that a GeForce xfx 6200 graphics
> card will get me tv out:
> http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19271195.aspx
> Q: what definition will this get me my tv out in?  I'm not very
> interested in hdtv, but I'd like to know the card would if I wanted it
> to - 1080i?
> Q: how well does it play with linux/mythtv?

All  nvidia cards should be fine with linux, but if you want to use
dvb-t you want to aim for a 8xxx 9xxx or 2xx series card so you can
use vdpau, particularly on the cpu you will have in the dell. That
usually means a pci-e motherboard. I don't think you will cope with nz
dvb-t decoding at all. It would make a fine DVB-S system.

> I'm planning on the WinTV-NOVA-TD 500 (which seems very popular):
> http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/products/data_novat500.html
> Q: all the NZ sites listing this card are for "OEM" only without remote
> or IR receiver - is it available with the full package anywhere?
> Q: on the Ascent site:
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=373799
> it notes "Please Note: This product does not support mpeg4, which is
> required for freeview"... err!  Is this true; is this card completely
> useless for NZ freeview - why would they be selling it if so?  I can't
> believe it?  (Listed here as OK: http://www.mythtv.co.nz/mythtv/digital-tv/)

It supports whatever codec is in the stream. It is fine for what you
want. The tuner card does not decode the signal, thats up to the cpu
or the graphics card.

> Q: also, there has been some confusion between the "TD" model and "T"
> model - is this resolved?
>
> Under Tools + Libraries on the nz mythtv site
> (http://www.mythtv.co.nz/mythtv/digital-tv/) it says that mythtv only
> partially supports NZ DTT, is this still correct - if I build a box like
> this, will it go?

Not unless you get a decent graphics card. If you are looking for a
one box backend/frontend solution then I suggest a pci-e motherboard
and an nvidia 2xx graphics card with at least 512M Ram.

Alternatively you could use the dell as a backend and find an ion
based frontend, like an acer revo or a zotac mini-itx motherboard.
HOWEVER if you want to connect to an analogue TV via component,
s-video or composite, you will need be a bit stuck on getting a card
to fit your needs.