[mythtvnz] GeForce xfx 6200 & WinTV-NOVA-TD 500?

Morgan Read mstuff at read.org.nz
Mon Jun 7 02:44:26 BST 2010

My first post...

I'm wanting to turn an old Dell Optiplex gx270 into a pvr...

I've done some research and it seems that a GeForce xfx 6200 graphics
card will get me tv out:
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19271195.aspx
Q: what definition will this get me my tv out in?  I'm not very
interested in hdtv, but I'd like to know the card would if I wanted it
to - 1080i?
Q: how well does it play with linux/mythtv?

I'm planning on the WinTV-NOVA-TD 500 (which seems very popular):
http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/products/data_novat500.html
Q: all the NZ sites listing this card are for "OEM" only without remote
or IR receiver - is it available with the full package anywhere?
Q: on the Ascent site:
http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=373799
it notes "Please Note: This product does not support mpeg4, which is
required for freeview"... err!  Is this true; is this card completely
useless for NZ freeview - why would they be selling it if so?  I can't
believe it?  (Listed here as OK: http://www.mythtv.co.nz/mythtv/digital-tv/)
Q: also, there has been some confusion between the "TD" model and "T"
model - is this resolved?

Under Tools + Libraries on the nz mythtv site
(http://www.mythtv.co.nz/mythtv/digital-tv/) it says that mythtv only
partially supports NZ DTT, is this still correct - if I build a box like
this, will it go?

Any pointers about the wisdom of my proposed set up and gotchas would be
very much appreciated (before I dive on in).

Many thanks all,
M.
--
Morgan Read