[mythtvnz] Cutting H.264 DVB-T files with ffmpeg without transcoding

Ross and Jemima Knudsen ross.jemima at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 10:02:56 BST 2010

On 24/07/2010 12:38 p.m., David Moore wrote:

> I've used VB a fair bit also but I don't think it's a good idea to rely
> on something which isn't pretty standard in Ubuntu for portability
> reasons. Turns out sql in bash is really simple. Just echo the sql
> commands through a pipe to mysql and catch the results. Dead easy. :-)
> Hardest thing will be understanding which tables need updating.
> Recordedseek and recordedmarkup are the ones I know of so far.

You'd just want to drop all the markings for the particular recording
after doing any of the transcoding as potentially the timestamps may be
altered.  So something like:
'delete from `recordedmarkup` where `chanid` = X and `starttime` = Y'
and 'delete from `recordedseek` where `chanid` = X and `starttime` = Y

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Recordedmarkup_table
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Recordedseek_table

To fix the entries in the seek table just take the lazy way out and use
one of the methods here:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Repairing_the_Seektable

PS I thought that mono libraries were installed as default on Ubuntu?...
> Actually looks like the trickiest thing is handling the cuts. Myth cuts
> in recordedmarkup table are in frames whereas ffmpeg uses times so need
> to do some maths to convert frame to time. Bash doesn't do floating
> point maths but there is a linux utility called bc to do this so that's
> no problem. Could be a problem with cut accuracy however. I had a look
> at one of my recordings last night and it seems that the time myth shows
> for the cut points is not exactly equal to the cut point frame number x
> 25 (fps). I'm guessing there might be some issue with the start time for
> the recording but not sure yet.

Maybe using Avidemux might be feasible if you can get it to work on the
commandline.  It uses frame numbers (I believe).