[mythtvnz] Mythtv FE - Dell D830 Latitude Laptop with NVS-140M

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Tue Jul 20 13:48:03 BST 2010

Has anyone considered using a Dell D830 as a front-end?  I've run up a number now and am pleased with the results I am getting from
the dual role (laptop pc / mythtv) machines.

They:
> come with  >= 1.8G Core2duo CPU's = plenty of cycles for most things
> can frequently be obtained with 1920x1200 screens that display mythtv fine
> with enough RAM have 512M video memory.  (From memory that's 2G system RAM, its in the Dell specs)
> NVS-140M is vdpau "a" capable yet draws only 10W
> Feature 3 levels of powermizer video settings and variable fan speed.
> run vdpau 1080i fine with the composite addition into xorg.conf
> 1080i video temps run fine with the built in cooling, that in these include copper cooling fins
> have a screen and keyboard so can be run as a laptop, as well as a mythtv FE.
> Component and VGA outputs from the Laptop
> HDMI only via DVI
> WiFi versions with G and a few N versions around.  N Cards can be swapped in, and the 3 wire antennae wires seem standard.  I've
> mainly run wired though.
> Using the standard (cheapish) Dell PRO1X dock one can also get component, as well as digital DVI and S/PDIF output (I've not
> tested these though)
> Built in Battery backup (!)
> Great as remote client for Win and Ubuntu
> WOL works well, can be run with the lid down.
> Frequently come with Bluetooth for remotes or Audio.

Not perfect, still in my view a pretty good option.

I've not bothered to run up a SD / SSD HDD as the HDD's have been ok, obviously one could get some more speed and quietness with
these.  There are intel video versions around also, I doubt they'd work nearly as well and would expect they are best avoided for
mythtv use.

FWIW I also tried a D630 14.1" with the NVS-135M and reduced pixel counts.  They are also "a" vdpau chips and do 720p fine, but it
seems their video RAM is limited to 256M, which I assume is the reason I've not got it to play 1080i content.  I'm not sure but I
think I've seen reference to future mythtv versions only needing 256M so one day they might become a useful alternative?