[mythtvnz] Scheduling conflict with multirec

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 14:07:31 BST 2010

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 9:54 PM, Aaron Whitehouse <lists at whitehouse.org.nz>wrote:

> I thought that the idea of priorities was that they were used by
> preference, but should never cause a conflict?

No, that's not how it works. Priorities are used to decide what to schedule
first. The scheduler doesn't try multiple permutations to find a schedule
that records the maximum number of programs - it's basically a single pass
algorithm that schedules things in priority order. The "Reschedule Higher
Priorities" option changes this slightly, see
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Scheduler#Reschedule_Higher_Priorities for
details.

With my priorities applied (3, 0 and 2, respectively), this is the result:
> ===========
> DVB0 (4)        The Good Wife: Running  3 - TV3
> Tue Jul 6, 2010 (09:28 PM)      1 hr 7 mins
>
> Conflict        True Stories: The Worlds Heaviest Man   9 - PRIME
> Tue Jul 6, 2010 (09:38 PM)      1 hr 7 mins
>
> DVB1 (8)        V       2 - TV2
> Tue Jul 6, 2010 (10:28 PM)      1 hr 7 mins
> ===========

The scheduler first schedules the highest priority show, The Good Wife, on
the first available tuner - 4. It then schedules the next highest priority
show, V, on the first available turner - 8. It can't use 5, 6, or 7 because
they are tied to the MediaWorks multiplex. So now virtual tuners 4-7 are
locked to MediaWorks and 8-11 are locked to TVNZ. Prime is on the Kordia
multiplex.

> There is nothing relevant before or after (I realise hard padding
> affects scheduling). This should be able to record all three as follows:
> ===========
> DVB0 (4)        The Good Wife: Running  3 - TV3
> Tue Jul 6, 2010 (09:28 PM)      1 hr 7 mins
>
> DVB0 (5, 6 or 7)        True Stories: The Worlds Heaviest Man   9 - PRIME
> Tue Jul 6, 2010 (09:38 PM)      1 hr 7 mins
>
> DVB1 (8)        V       2 - TV2
> Tue Jul 6, 2010 (10:28 PM)      1 hr 7 mins

Prime and 3 are on different multiplexes and can't be recorded by the same
physical tuner.

Cheers,