[mythtvnz] Mythtv on Server hardware

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 09:14:26 BST 2010

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:

>> > 14 x 15W each = 210W worst case. It's not nothing but it's not really
>> > anything to get excited about either. They'll draw about twice that
>> > during
>> > startup though.
>>
>> Ouch
>>
>> I'm spinning 5Tb with a AMD 5050e CPU on an ASUS m/b and sit at 80W idle,
>> 85 when recording a couple of channels and 95W commflagging. That includes
>> the Sky box, ADSL modem and UPS...
>
> Obviously if you care about a couple of hundred watts then you're better off
> with SATA where the GB/W metric is about 10x better. In my case I've got a
> 400W plasma screen that rather makes everything else look pretty trivial.

My Sony LCD boasts 300W which rather makes me pissed off to come down
in the morning to find the backlight glow on! Such is the consequence
of getting to the timeof life when teenagers go to bed before their
parents!

As for leaving the gas heater on 8/10 all night, nice to wake up to
the house being warm, not so nice to get the gas bill.