[mythtvnz] Compiling Mythtv from Ubuntu repositories

Ross and Jemima Knudsen ross.jemima at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 19:49:32 GMT 2010

Hi all,

There is a patch which is supposed to fix a bug on my Myth system so
that I can run 0.22.  The dev who has made the patch wants users to
test the patch before it gets committed to trunk.  So I'd like to
compile Myth with the patch and test it.

Now I know most people would say run configure, make and make install
but I have come to dislike this method as it can be hard to uninstall
an application when done in this fashion.  So I'd like to make
packages if possible.

So what I've done is downloaded the source code from the Ubuntu
repositories which has the Debian rules etc in it to make deb packages
using 'apt-get source mythtv'.  I then manually edited the appropriate
source file with the recommended patch (I gave up trying to apply it
as a patch in /debian/patches).  I then want to run 'dpkg-buildpackage
-us -uc -rfakeroot' but it complains about a missing dependency.  The
dependency relates to nvidia-185-vdpau-dev.  I'm currently running
nvidia 195 from JYA's repository.

My question is, if I have the dev package installed from JYA's repo,
can I just add the '-d' switch to my dpkg-package command to force it
to ignore the missing dependency?  Note I have already done this and
it seemed to produce the myth packages but I wanted to check before I
tried installing them.

Hope someone can advise.

Rossco