[mythtvnz] DVB-T USB tuner

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Fri Jan 22 07:15:32 GMT 2010

>> Is the "AVerMedia AVerTV Digi Volar X TV Tuner" a good place to start
>> with
>> HD on my system? As far as I can tell the drivers are all in place
>> (which
>> is an unknown for the $45 dongles I see on TradeMe).
>>
>> What is the interface on the remote - is the IR detector in the USB
>> tuner
>> or is it on the end of a bit of wire that plugs into the tuner? Come to
>> that, what buttons are there on the remote - is it just TV related or is
>> it as flexible as the MCE remote for MythTV work? - would be handy to
>> have
>> a spare...
>
> Since it looks like nobody is using AverMedia USB cards under Linux, does
> anyone know if the $45 dongles have Linux drivers?

Being the cheapskate (change out of $60) that I am I've gone for the
Genius TVGO which was added to the 2.6.31 kernel and it seems to work
great!!

Two rebuilds of MythTV - first to get the scan fixes (I hadn't rebuilt
since the commit of Steve's PID fixes) and then to --enable-libfaad to get
the LATM decoder. The test install all works great now :-)

The final thing is to integrate it into the rest of the system and making
sure I have the priorities set up correctly to try the DVB-T card first,
then the two DVB-S cards and finally the SKY STB (which has a lot of
unique channels anyway) in accordance with the recent thread with Mike
Dean on the main list. I'll be doing this by deleting all cards and then
put the new one first, then a DVB-S, then the Sky (PVR150) and finally the
2nd DVB-S card to get reasonable quality LiveTV avoiding scheduling
clashes with the Sky channels.

At present, I have the two DVB-S cards with the same source name and input
connections (I think) so with multirec they just appear as 8 tuners which
ensures I get everything off the two satellite muxes.

Should I add the DVB-T card to the same source as the DVB-S cards and make
sure the XMLTVIDs, channel numbers and channels names are the same as the
DVB-S cards so that the HD channels are not duplicated in the guide or
require any special rules for scheduling.

I'd really like to only do it once and I'm not sure if there are any
subtle differences that mean I should treat the HD tuner differently :-)

Cheers

--
Robin Gilks