[mythtvnz] DVB-T USB tuner

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Jan 18 08:30:08 GMT 2010

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 16:21:51 +1300, you wrote:

>> Is the "AVerMedia AVerTV Digi Volar X TV Tuner" a good place to start with
>> HD on my system? As far as I can tell the drivers are all in place (which
>> is an unknown for the $45 dongles I see on TradeMe).
>>
>> What is the interface on the remote - is the IR detector in the USB tuner
>> or is it on the end of a bit of wire that plugs into the tuner? Come to
>> that, what buttons are there on the remote - is it just TV related or is
>> it as flexible as the MCE remote for MythTV work? - would be handy to have
>> a spare...
>
>Since it looks like nobody is using AverMedia USB cards under Linux, does
>anyone know if the $45 dongles have Linux drivers?

I am using an AverMedia DVB-T Volar on my Mythbuntu 9.10 box.  It
works fine, but is not the same as the one you mentioned, and does not
have a remote.  AverMedia published Linux drivers for my one - if they
have done the same for your one, then it is likely to work.  I am also
using an Asus My Cinema-U3100Mini/DVBT:

  http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=372738

on my laptop, where it works fine under Vista and Mythbuntu 9.10.
Again, it does not have a remote, but it is only $73 (a little up from
when I bought mine for $69.75).