[mythtvnz] MythTV on separate X screen?

criggie at criggie.dyndns.org criggie at criggie.dyndns.org
Wed Jan 20 04:42:56 GMT 2010

Stephen Worthington wrote, On 20/01/10 17:39:
> I am not sure of the correct terminology here, so bare with me.
> Mythfrontend normally runs fullscreen, and I also want to be able to
> use the desktop underneath it.  The only keyboard minimising control I
> can find that mythfrontend responds to is Ctrl-Alt-d, which minimises
> everything to show a clean desktop.  That is very annoying when I want
> to be able to work on the windows underneath.  So is it possible to
> set up a second X screen and run Mythfrontend on that (say
> Ctrl-Alt-F8) and keep the desktop visible on the normal X screen
> (Ctrl-Alt-F7)?  I do want to keep keyboard access to mythfrontend, so
> a separate X server is not the answer.

Sounds like you want two separate X sessions, but I suspect you really
want a video card with two connectors, so you can connect two screens.

mythfrontend can be told which display to put itself on, and after that
you just need to change focus to have your keystrokes go to myth.

Another thing I've wanted to try is running mythtv on a separate video
card/monitor with a separate keyboard talking to just that xserver.