[mythtvnz] MHEG fix for freeview HD

Hadley Rich hads at nice.net.nz
Thu Jan 14 02:42:29 GMT 2010

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 15:23:40 Aaron Whitehouse wrote:
> Yes. It is a shame that we don't have better detail, as that would make
> the "no duplicates" setting work better.

I'm trying :)

As we discuss below there's only so much I can do with automated scripts. Some
of it, such as choosing between two shows of the same/similar name, is better
handled by humans. Unfortuantely I don't have time to babysit the epg run
every day and choose from options :) For this reason the processors I
currently implement deliberately err on the side of caution and don't match at
all rather than get the wrong info. That's the theory anyway.

> The most likely way that I can
> see this working is if the EPG ends up using information from something
> like tvdb. I can see someone like SchedulesDirect (or maybe a wiki-based
> interface to epg.geek, or something) linking programs to episodes in
> tvdb or imdb etc. While I can't see anyone sitting down and entering in
> the season/episode numbers, subtitles and descriptions reliably enough
> for this, I see it as more likely that someone would find the relevant
> episode in the database and add a link, populating everything
> automatically. It sounds far-fetched, but isn't far off how the likes of
> MusicBrainz/SoundJuicer have resulted in my music collection being
> perfectly tagged. With perfect data, you are right that recording the
> next series of something that you recorded would be sensible (and a lot
> easier).

This is something that's been on my TODO list for a quite some time now. I
imagine a web interface where people can go and view a current program guide.
When they view a program they are presented with possibilities that match from
thetvdb.com or themoviedb.org, click one that matches and data is
automatically populated/overridden.

One of the things that has held me back (apart from free time) is my doubts on
how many contributors there would be. Are there people who honestly think that
they would help out with something such as this?

hads
--
http://nicegear.co.nz
VoIP and Linux compatible hardware