[mythtvnz] MHEG fix for freeview HD

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 01:43:50 GMT 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 8:59 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 11:57 PM, Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com>
> >> wrote:
> >> How it's used
> particular
> >>
> >> Then again some people only want the current season, not every rerun!
> >
> > That's a good point, but then it doesn't help you catch the start of the
> > next season which for me is the bigger problem as I don't really see any
> > advertising. What we really need is episode and season numbers or at
> least a
> > reliable "repeat" flag.
>
> Whats a repeat for you may not be for someone else, it depends on when
> you installed your myth system, what seasons you have on DVD, etc. The
> completist may want everything, even old episodes.

That's why I mentioned season and episode numbers. But I don't think we'll
get them any time soon. A "repeat" flag would be better than nothing, and
it's not like you'd be forced to use it. Of course the networks would only
consider their own showings and may be tempted to cheat occasionally as well
so it may not be all that useful. Still I'm always keen on more data.

> Easier to record everything and delete what you don't want than to
> record too little.

That's what I do. I imagine it could become annoying if there is a lot of
manual housecleaning required, but it's workable for me.

> As for missed season premieres, I feel this is a legitimate use of
> bittorrent etc. You talk to friends, they tell you about a fantastic
> new programme you missed and you download the first episode, then
> record the rest (if you like it of course).

Yes.

Of course you can get myth to record every premiere - theres a feature
> for that, but again it may depend on info we don't have in our
> databases.

I was thinking more in terms of new seasons of stuff you're already
recording. Currently this works fine unless someone changes the show's
title. But if your recording rule is based on series id (with or without the
title) and the series id changes for the new season then you are going to
miss it. I suspect this isn't as big a problem for people with MySky or
Freeview decoders because they are still watching the advertising.

Cheers,