[mythtvnz] MHEG fix for freeview HD

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 10:57:33 GMT 2010

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 9:22 PM, Aaron Whitehouse
<lists at whitehouse.org.nz>wrote:

> Steven Ellis wrote:
>
> > I have the details of how series link works on myfreeview|HD and it
> > would require a number of extensions to the existing MHEG stack.
>
> Interesting. Presumably people would rather use series link through the
> existing scheduling interfaces, rather than the F12 interface, so
> something may need to change there anyway. I guess that means that it is
> different to the UK BBC's "series link", which (apparently) is already
> in MythTV.

I doubt there will ever be integration between the MHEG proram guide and
MythTV scheduling (i.e. being able to schedule things from the MHEG program
guide). As you say, people would rather use the Myth interface so I think
we're all just talking about getting whatever MHEG-only data there is into
Myth. I'm not exactly sure what "series link" means in terms of data
(hopefully Steven Eillis will clarify/correct me where required), but I
guess it just means an id number against each program that represents the
"series". It could give us some certainty in the face of title screwups, but
then if we don't trust Freeview to get the title right in the data then I'm
not sure we can trust them to get the series id right either. How it's used
could affect it's value as well, for example is it only for a particular
season or for all seasons of a particular show? If it's specific to a season
then it's pretty useless IMHO. Similarly, will they be careful to
distinguish between different programs with the same/similar names (e.g.
Life on Mars UK vs US, Who want's to be a Millionaire?). Again, if they
don't then it's no better than the titles we have now.

Cheers,