[mythtvnz] Anyone else using a HDHomerun/Mythtv/XBMC combo?

Mark de Reeper mark.dereeper at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 07:57:44 GMT 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 4:07 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Can you even put the H.264 video of Freeview HD into a MPEG-PS
> container?
> >> According to the VLC developers you can't:
> >> http://www.videolan.org/streaming-features.html
> >> and
> >> http://wiki.videolan.org/MPEG-TS#PS
> >
> > hmmm you have me there, although its hard to say whether those pages
> > are showing a limitation of the container per se, or a limitation of
> > vlc's implementation.
>
> Looks like you & the VLC people were right:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_container_formats
>
> According to this a PS can take MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 Part 2 and TS
> can take MPEG-1, MPEG-2 Part 2, MPEG-4 ASP, H.264, other formats in
> private streams: VC-1, Dirac and a m2ts can take MPEG-2 Part 2, H.264,
> VC-1
>
> Maybe remuxing as a TS would fix it too? I dunno. For what its worth,
> when I look at a TS stream from TV in mplayer, the length and progress
> numbers are all fubar'd.

Thanks for all the feedback, not made a lot of progress today but did try
the 2 different remuxing suggestions with not great results:

The mencoder command failed saying I was not able to specify copy for both
flags, it suggested I use pcm and I needed to add the -o flag to specify
which file was the output. It did complete with these changes but did not
produce a playable file:
mencoder -oac pcm -ovc copy 1001_20100107202800.mpg -o
new-1001_20100107202800.mpg

The cvlc command worked but the resulting file had no audio stream, VLC
reported only having the video stream when I played it back.

I am going to work through some of the other suggestions but will be heading
away for a break with the family soon so will need to pick this up again in
a couple of weeks. Keep the ideas coming. It is times like this that I think
I would be better off just getting getting a Tivo (I already have a hacked
Series 1 which works remarkably well but just not HD) and be done with it.

Thanks

Mark