[mythtvnz] Anyone else using a HDHomerun/Mythtv/XBMC combo?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 03:12:51 GMT 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 4:07 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Jonathan Hoskin
> <jonathan.hoskin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sometimes simply remuxing the file will fix some of those problems.
>>> myth creates its own entries for use by ff and rew in the database,
>>> but the popcornhour will not use these. Making the transport stream
>>> into a program stream may halp. I think the incantation is something
>>> like:
>>>
>>> mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy original.mpg new.mpg
>>>

>> Can you even put the H.264 video of Freeview HD into a MPEG-PS container?
>> According to the VLC developers you can't:
>> http://www.videolan.org/streaming-features.html
>> and
>> http://wiki.videolan.org/MPEG-TS#PS
>
> hmmm you have me there, although its hard to say whether those pages
> are showing a limitation of the container per se, or a limitation of
> vlc's implementation.

Looks like you & the VLC people were right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_container_formats

According to this a PS can take MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 Part 2 and TS
can take MPEG-1, MPEG-2 Part 2, MPEG-4 ASP, H.264, other formats in
private streams: VC-1, Dirac and a m2ts can take MPEG-2 Part 2, H.264,
VC-1

Maybe remuxing as a TS would fix it too? I dunno. For what its worth,
when I look at a TS stream from TV in mplayer, the length and progress
numbers are all fubar'd.