[mythtvnz] Minimum CPU for FreeviewHD

Craig Whitmore lennon at orcon.net.nz
Sat Feb 27 02:13:39 GMT 2010

On Sat, 2010-02-27 at 14:53 +1300, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Aaron Whitehouse
> <lists at whitehouse.org.nz> wrote:

Going off in a slightly different tangent....well not really as we are
talking about CPUs needed to play Freeview... I decided a few weeks ago
to make up a new frontend for my media center.

With the new CrystalHD Accelerator Cards there are much cheaper
alternatives than the Atom ION/VDPAU Video Cards (about 1/2 the Cost).
These Cards basically decode the H364/VC1/whatever and then you feed it
to your normal video card.

The Motherboard is an Atom 270 Motherboard
http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/D945GSEJT/D945GSEJT-overview.htm

So I'm getting (1/2 of it has come so far from overseas) as its
impossible to get any of this stuff from NZ Sources!!!)

M350 Mini-ITX Enclosure.
Intel D945GSEJT Motherboard + PCI Riser
USB Micro Bluetooth Reciever (to use PS3 remote)
Intel Z-130 4GB eUSB Card (slot into motherboard) (boot driver and OS)
BCM70012 Video Accelerator (slots into motherboard)

This is one of the smallest cases/motherboards and a PCI card fits into
it all and no moving parts .

I'll be using it as a frontend only but I could put a 2.5 Laptop HDD or
SSD drive)  and my HVR-4000 into the box as well if I want to use it as
a all in one DVB-S/DVB-T receiver.

At the moment the accelerator card is not "supported" under mythtv so
I'll probably use xbmc (where it is supported) as the frontend for
mythtv until it is supported.

Thanks