[mythtvnz] Minimum CPU for FreeviewHD

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Feb 27 01:53:23 GMT 2010

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 13:27:06 +1300, you wrote:

>On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Stephen Worthington
><stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>> There are some clues that the TV3 files
>> may have very high performance peaks, as I understand that they can
>> not be played across a 100 Mbit ethernet connection reliably - the
>> required bit rate peaks above 100 Mbit and they stutter at times.  I
>> have no problems playing them over my gigabit ethernet connections.
>>

>I meant to add to my last post...
>
>I am surprised that there should be difficulties with a TV3 stream
>over a 100Mbit network. This post
>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/359549
>indicates 11Mbit/s, which should be easily handled even by the worst
>terminated 100Mbit network. Although of course it depends on many
>things...

11 Mbit/s is the average bit rate.  Peaks are supposed to be much
higher.  And those figures appear to be a bit out of date.  I just
took a look at some of my recordings from TV3.  This is from the last
week's TV3 news recordings, according to MediaInfo:

Overall bit rate                 : 12.4 Mbps
Maximum bit rate                 : 13.3 Mbps
Overall bit rate                 : 12.8 Mbps
Maximum bit rate                 : 13.3 Mbps
Overall bit rate                 : 13.2 Mbps
Maximum bit rate                 : 13.3 Mbps
Overall bit rate                 : 13.1 Mbps
Maximum bit rate                 : 13.3 Mbps
Overall bit rate                 : 13.0 Mbps
Maximum bit rate                 : 13.3 Mbps
Overall bit rate                 : 13.0 Mbps
Maximum bit rate                 : 13.3 Mbps
Overall bit rate                 : 13.0 Mbps
Maximum bit rate                 : 13.3 Mbps

The overall bit rate is for the entire file (including audio), and the
maximum bit rate values are for video only.  I am not sure how the
maximum bit rate value is assessed - over what time period.  My
recollection is that there are supposed to be very short time periods
when the bit rate is sky high, but these peaks are typically for very
short periods only.  But according to those figures, 100 Mbit/s should
be ample, even if your supposed 100 Mbit/s connection is only doing
60% of that in real throughput, which is often the case.  Since I only
have gigabit ethernet now, I can not test it.