[mythtvnz] OT: Recommended wiring scheme and RJ-45 connectors for Lexcom (Cat7) cable

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 11:32:23 GMT 2010

Hi

On 19 February 2010 21:28, Brett Miller <blmiller at slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
> James appears to be correct
>
> Electricity Regulations 1997 (SR 1997/60) (as at 01 October 2008)
>
> extra-low voltage means any voltage normally not exceeding 50 volts a.c. or
> 120 volts ripple-free d.c.

how is that any different to what we had talked earlier (the reference
was about LV, not ELV)

You'll note that under those regulations, it means no one then is
allowed to work on the telephone system without a license, as standard
phone line can be up to 90V AC (when it rings)

> Any conductors in close proximity (50mm in 1993 ?) must have their
> insulation rating raised to the highest voltage present.

AS standard states that ELV service must be separated from LV (low
voltage) hazardous service by a minimum of 50mm and 150mm at the
termination point

> The only future proof cabling system is putting lengths of $10 ($4 to
> sparkie) conduit in your walls when you have the chance, especially walls
> that have insulation etc. There is no perfect or best cable system.
>
> Cat5 & 6 are just cheap & easy to terminate.
> That is the sum total of all the pro's. But if it works it's good enough.

Go for fiber ... So much easier to work with... No need to care at all
about how you place it, smaller, lighter, more flexible and much much
greater bandwidth..
Price keeps going down too