[mythtvnz] OT: Recommended wiring scheme and RJ-45 connectors for Lexcom (Cat7) cable

Brett Miller blmiller at slingshot.co.nz
Fri Feb 19 10:28:21 GMT 2010

      James appears to be correct

      Electricity Regulations 1997 (SR 1997/60) (as at 01 October 2008)

extra-low voltage means any voltage normally not exceeding 50 volts a.c.
or 120 volts ripple-free d.c.

The values might have changed when NZ decided to save money & adopt the
AS standards.
My old copy of electrical standards dates from 1993 so no help.

An important safety thing to consider with cabling is separation of
services.
Any conductors in close proximity (50mm in 1993 ?) must have their
insulation rating raised to the highest voltage present.

The only future proof cabling system is putting lengths of $10 ($4 to
sparkie) conduit in your walls when you have the chance, especially
walls that have insulation etc. There is no perfect or best cable system.

Cat5 & 6 are just cheap & easy to terminate.
That is the sum total of all the pro's. But if it works it's good enough.