[mythtvnz] OT: Recommended wiring scheme and RJ-45 connectors for Lexcom (Cat7) cable

James Gray james6.0 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 07:41:42 GMT 2010

> So diy cat6 installs are generally pretty error prone? What sort of
> gear do you need to verify transfer speeds?

I must admit I'm a little mystified by the above claims... We use a
Fluke DTX CableAnalyzer to verify CAT6 installs, and all achieve a
pass result before the install is finished.

To install cable with no more than 1M of cable in parallel would be
all but impossible with many installs, or the entire job would take
several times longer to complete (potentially thousands of dollars)...

That said, CAT 6 (as opposed to 5e or 6a) cable does seem to have
limited use. 1000BaseT runs over CAT5e, requiring all four pairs.
1000BaseTX requires CAT 6 but takes only two pairs, but given that
this would generally mean installing new NICs in PCs which nowadays
come with them preinstalled, it seems unlikely to be of much use...
Most commercial structured cabling installs are run with at least two
cables to each location anyway, so splitters do not normally need to
be used.

10GBaseT (10Gbit ethernet) works over Cat5e to 45m, or CAT6 to 55m,
but CAT6a is needed to achieve the full 100m